Friday, April 08, 2011

Friendly Friday fail... but a definite win for the balcony

Due to a rather traumatic psychology assignment crisis this week I'm sorry to announce that today brings forth no Friendly Friday.  I'd like to apologise to Meg of Counting Time, whose interview was due to appear today, and thank her for being so patient with me as my week turned into a nightmare.  Despite the fact that I am finding this course module fascinating, I can tell you I'd have much rather been working on Meg's interview than writing about the social psychoanalytical and phenomenological approaches to the concept of 'self'.  But such is life.  Meg's interview will now be coming up next Friday, and in the meantime, full of the joys of a beautiful spring Friday after such a challenging week, I'd like to share how the dramatically the view from our balcony has altered over the last three weeks.


March 18: This picture was filed in an album somewhat optimistically entitled "Spring".
March 27: this is a bit more like it.
April 3: Yes, we went to the garden centre.  Yes, twice.
Today, April 8, 7am.  Not bad, huh?
Our balcony is all the prettier for the array of exquisitely colourful flowers that now adorn it; it smells lovely too, thanks to a terribly enthusiastic pot of jasmine.  I've never had a balcony before (or spent much time in garden centres) so have no idea if the incredible selection of pots, plants and all manner of decorations on offer to satisfy this obsession for doing up your outside space is exclusively German or the worldwide norm.  I've seen all manner of useful bits and pieces for clipping onto railings in order to equip yourself for a summer on the deck: flip-up tables, ashtrays, birdbaths and even teeny tiny barbecues just big enough for a couple of steaks and a spare rib or two.  Our little outside space is lovely and shady till the sun comes around to it late afternoon, which I was especially thankful for in the frequently unbearable heat of last summer.  It also means that at present, it's perfect out there for a pre-dinner drink - particularly welcome after a week like the one I've just had.  Happy weekend, folks!

8 comments:

Riayn said...

Wow.. you have many more leaves on your trees than I do here in Hamburg. Perhaps Spring has not come this far north yet.

Also no worries about postponing Friendly Friday, assignments are much more important. :)

Fiona said...

Wow, nice pictures! I hope you have a great weekend in the gorgeous sun.

German Gems said...

Congrats on getting through the difficult assignment. Reward yourself this weekend. Looking forward to next Friendly Friday

Frau Dietz said...

@Riayn: You're brilliant. Hurry up Hamburg Spring!

@Fiona: Thank you :) you have a lovely weekend too, hope there's lots of sunshine in Scotland...

@German Germs: Thank you, it was a struggle!

Debbie Beardsley said...

The flowers on your balcony are indeed beautiful. I have a love/hate relationship with spring. Absolutely love the rebirth- flowers, leaves - hate the allergies that come with it.

Hope your weekend is grand!

otomcio said...

Even the hills have grown!

Evening sun is the best with a balcony. Drinks, dinner, lounging. Fantastic.

Although, that being said, I used to love sitting on my balcony in Katowice, Poland and eating breakfast in the morning sun.

shoegirl said...

God, I love your balcony...

Frau Dietz said...

@Debbie: I took the old 'local honey' advice this year and whether it's that worked or not I don't know, but I've barely suffered from hayfever this year. Give it a go! And I had a lovely weekend, thank you :)

@Otomcio: Breakfast in the sun also good, you're right, but given the choice... no, the evening drink wins every time for me :)

@Shoegirl: and it loves you. You know you can come round for a Weißweinschorle on it whenever you want! When I'm back, obviously ;)