Thursday, June 07, 2012

Dietz Family Outing: Riesling and roses in Eltville-am-Rhein

A couple of Sundays ago, there was a spontaneous Dietz Family Outing to Eltville, a lovely little town on the river renowned for its wine, Sekt (German champagne) and roses.  On that afternoon, I learned two things: roses don't just come in in red, pink and yellow; and one should never throw a recipe away in despair.
Eltville is allegedly home to around 350 different varieties of rose.  I don't know how many I had a look at on that Sunday afternoon, but it felt like probably most of them.  We spent a good while wandering around in the sunshine in the rose garden of Eltville's 15th century Kurfürstlichen Burg (Elector's Castle), which was a gentle and thoroughly pleasing way to spend a Sunday: the rose garden smelt heavenly, and only one or two jokes were made about one particular English rose who was growing steadily pinker and pinker in the surprisingly strong rays of the late May sun.
Our small band of Dietzens then spent an hour or two enjoying some really very good food and some really, really very good wine in the serene, rose-filled garden at Weingut Koegler.  I discovered that they were also the first winery in Germany to produce Verjus, the mild, fragrant and unalcoholic juice of unripened grapes that I've been trying to get my hands on for years.  I stashed a whole pile of recipes away for the moment when I finally found a bottle, but now I've finally managed to do so, I can't seem to find them anywhere.  Please does anybody have any recommendations?

8 comments:

Kate Farmer said...

This looks like a yummy salad with said verjus!
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Honey-Roasted-Pear-Salad-with-Thyme-Verjus-Dressing-232870

Frau Dietz said...

Why thank you, Kate Farmer, that does look good. I should have known to ask an Aussie!!

fiona said...

Can't help with the Verjus I'm afraid, though I would like to try it, but your photos are lovely, and it looks like a gorgeous place to visit. I'm so very jealous of you living down there, it's so very, very pretty!

German Gems said...

First I've heard of Verjus; must keep an eye out for it. Eltville is beautiful this time of year!

Frau Dietz said...

@Fiona: YOU HAD BETTER COME AND VISIT AGAIN THEN. It was a lovely place to visit, although it did feel a bit grown up wandering around looking at flowers on a Sunday afternoon. Although I simultaneously felt about 4 years old, because I had no idea what I was looking at and I think we were the only people there under 70.

@German Gems: well, consider this as a tip for where to get it! :) It's delicious. And you're right, Eltville is absolutely beautiful - we could hardly move for the roses!

BavarianSojourn said...

What a lovely lovely looking place. Your photos are just beautiful! Kate's recipe sounds lovely... Found anymore? :)

Frau Dietz said...

Thank you!! And yes, I discovered the mother of all verjus-ing, an Australian lady called Maggie Beer (hence the Aussie comment above). Some of the recipes on her website look really, really, REALLY good. I think I'm going to get involved with a chicken and grape concoction this weekend - I'll let you know how it goes :)

ps I wish I was called Maggie Beer.

bevchen said...

Oooh, Eltville looks gorgeous. I may have to visit some time.